SAMPLE & HOLD
View Product Page
A module whose output voltage is set by "sampling" the input voltage when triggered. This is usually for producing random notes/modulation in conjunction with the noise module.
There are 2 independent Sample & Hold circuits within this module.
Module power consumption: 2 mA
- In 1 - The source for where the voltage will be selected from.
- Trig 1 - For a pulse to tell the module to take the voltage reading of input 1 and send that value to output 1.
- In 2 - The source for where voltage will be selected from.
- Trig 2 - For a pulse to tell the module to take a reading from input 2 and send that value to output 2.
- Out 1 (2) - The voltage selected by In/Trig 1 is available here.
- Out 2 (2) - The voltage selected by In/Trig 2 is available here.
- Thru (4) - On older modules marked Mult as a passive mixing/signal splitter as per many other AE Modules.
This module has no performance controls.
This video describes how to use the SAMPLE&HOLD module and makes use of the 2ATT/CV module for controlling pitch:
Try using an LFO instead of noise as the input source, quite handy for modulation but can be good to give a restricted random arpegiator type sequence if used on the pitch of the VCO(s).
Using Noise, the Voltage variation is about the maximum the AE Modular can deal with, so use of some form of attenuation is usually needed - the 4ATT/Mix, 2ATT/CV or Mixer 4-4 modules can do this.
With attenuation, this module can be really good to give a bit of variation to a sequence by varying the filter on the sound - use the 2ATT/CV module to combine the envelope and S&H outputs to the Filter module. It's also good on resonance on the Nyle filter. Use the same trigger as the sequence if you want to be in sync with that, and can change timing(s) with use of one of the logic or divider modules.